Today is a very exciting day, because it marks exactly six months until the release of my second YA, Under the Lights. I am super looking forward to unleashing this book on the world, in part because honestly, I have so much curiosity about how it’ll be received. I’ve never had a book take this many twists and turns during the writing process (and before you say “Well duh, this is your second book, please note that Last Will and Testament, Just Visiting, and The Book of Esther were all written between BtS and UtL, and My Name is Everett and Once You Go Greek were written before any of them). While I love how it came out in the end, it is admittedly a funny little book, twisting the irreverent, douchey narrative of one character with what I hope you’ll think is as fun, sweet, and hot a romance as I do from the perspective of the other, united by…a friendmance, I suppose? I know there are some people who were really hoping UtL would be a romance between Josh and Vanessa, but it isn’t, and I think the book is a million times better for what it is; I hope you guys end up feeling the same way. (Also, if it helps, Van’s love interest, Brianna, looks like this.)
So, that right there is the thing I am most excited for in 2015. I have poured so much into that book, and it’s such a labor of love, and it continuously amazes me that no matter how many times I read it, I’m still not bored of it.
But 2015 is a long year, and there is a lot happening, and I’m excited about it all! Here’s what’s up:
General Updates: I’ll still be in all the usual bloggy places, but I’m also excited to be joining YA Series Insiders. It’s a bunch of fabulous ladies with some really great books out, and I’m looking forward to being part of the group!
- On January 6, I’ll be hosting the 10:15 pm slot of Megan Erickson’s Make it Last release party on FB, and giving away e-copies of both MiL and Last Will and Testament, so don’t miss it!
- I am so, so excited to be able to attend the launch party of my beloved CP and friend Maggie Hall’s amazing debut, The Conspiracy of Us. If you’re in the Albuquerque area, I hope I’ll see you there! (Debut is January 13; party is January 15!)
- It’s also my birthday, but we don’t talk about that.
February – I’m super honored to have been asked to take part in two events this month:
- February 12: I’ll be moderating the Unconventional Love Stories panel at Books of Wonder at 6:00 pm, featuring some of my favorite author people and some books I am hellllllla excited about.
- February 15: So excited to be leading a breakout session as part of the SCBWI Workshop on YA/MG Romance! It’s called “How Far is Too Far? Sexual Boundaries in YA Romance,” and it’ll focus on sexual content in YA, the language we use for it, where limits might lie and why, consent/lack thereof, and portrayals of hetero romance vs. LGBTQ romance. (Spoiler: I will totally be sharing scenes from my books that aren’t even out yet, so you probably don’t want to miss that.)
March – Teen Author Festival! This is one of my favorite YA events of the year, and while I don’t know yet whether I’ll be attending in any authorial capacity, I will definitely be there as a reader and fan!
April – I’ve got nothing going on personally as of yet, but several of my absolute favorite favorite writer people have books coming out then – all books I’ve read that are utterly fantastic – so expect a lot of blog-raving from me that month!
May – BEA BEA BEA! Again, not sure whether I’ll be attending in any authorial capacity, but I live in NYC, so thankfully that means I’m around for much evening partying and general debauchery! Plus my CP Marieke will be staying with me, which is always the best thing ❤
June – (See opening paragraph)(Also my beautiful CP Gina Ciocca’s debut, Last Year’s Mistake, releases on the 9th, and it is YA Romancetastic to the max. I love this book so much.)
- Monday, July 6, 6:00 p.m.: I’ll be reading from Under the Lights for the monthly romance reading series Lady Jane’s Salon at Madame X
- Thursday, July 9, 7:00 p.m.: Super excited to be part of a fantastic panel on LGBTQ YA with Adam Silvera (More Happy Than Not), Becky Albertalli (Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda), Lindsay Ribar (The Art of Wishing and The Fourth Wish), and Michael Barakiva (One Man Guy) at McNally-Jackson!
- Sunday, July 12, 4:00 p.m.: Obviously the above is such a great panel, we couldn’t limit it to just one, so I’ll be at Oblong Books with Adam Silvera (More Happy Than Not), Becky Albertalli (Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda), Lindsay Ribar (The Art of Wishing and The Fourth Wish), and Robin Talley (Lies We Tell Ourselves and What We Left Behind)!
August – TBA, but hoping hoping to do an event in the DC area at some point!
September/October – hahahaha Jewish holidays every day don’t even think about anything else
November – my third Spencer Hill Contemporary book releases on the 17th! More on that soon….
December – STFU I can’t think this far ahead
So, when/where will I be seeing you??