It’s that time again! Another month has come to an end, and it’s time to check in with my 2014 goals/resolutions! Obviously I’m not quite posting on the last day of the month, as I usually do, for two reasons: 1) I’m not online on Saturdays, so having a blog post go up then is sorta dumb, and 2) The first thing under this line is pretty relevant to today, Friday, May 30, which is:
I AM AT BEA RIGHT NOW, WHERE I WILL BE ALL DAY, AND I WILL BE SIGNING ARCs OF MY BOOK, BEHIND THE SCENES, AT THE SPENCER HILL BOOTH AT 3:00 P.M. So if you’re around, come see me!! (And as a bonus, I’ll be signing with the fabulous Kelsey Macke, author of DAMSEL DISTRESSED!)
This has been a pretty all-over-the-map kind of month, but I am very excited about the way it’s ending. To fill you in:
- My amazingly wonderful CP, Marieke Nijkamp, is staying with me, which is amazingly wonderful ❤
- I got to have dinner with Marieke and NA author KK Hendin on this past Tuesday night, followed by a fabulous night of drinks with Marieke, awesomely talented author/agent Lindsay Ribar, and the following YA bloggers you should all know: Christina (Reader of Fictions), Lili (Lili’s Reflections), Gillian (Writer of Wrongs), Gaby (Queen Ella Bee Reads), Rachel (As Told By Rachel), and Debby (Snuggly Oranges). Here is photographic evidence, in which you should ignore the fact that I look like I’m about to sprint off into the wind while Gillian dances a jig:
- I went to Teen Author Carnival, and bought/got books signed by Michael Barakiva (ONE MAN GUY), Aaron Hartzler (RAPTURE PRACTICE), and Jennifer Armentrout (DON’T LOOK BACK). Also met a bunch of Twitter friends, including Melody Simpson, Veronica Bartles, Meredith Maresco, Spencer Hill Editorial Assistant Britta, and bloggers Debbie and Luna. After that, Marieke and I met up with DMLA Agents of Awesome Jen Udden and Amy Boggs for Kidlit drinks, and met some more fab authors, including I.W. Gregorio (NONE OF THE ABOVE) and Frankie Diane Mallis. I may have gotten a little tipsy. I’LL NEVER TELL.
- Thursday night I got to hang out with some of my Spencer Hill family and a bajillion amazing authors and bloggers, and I just got back from that and my feet hurt, so, just check out my Instagram account and read my status updates instead.
1. Read 5 MGs – I am being a liiiittle slower at this than anticipated, partly due to the fact that I misplaced my MG TBR stack. Oops. But I’m in the middle of BETTER NATE THAN EVER, and after that will come UNDER THE EGG!
2. Read 20 Non-Contemp YAs – Read three amaaaaazing ones this month I’m going to be recommending like a fiend: ILLUSIVE by Emily Lloyd-Jones (sci-fi), OTHERBOUND by Corinne Duyvis (fantasy), and LIES WE TELL OURSELVES by Robin Talley (historical). None of them are out yet, but you should buy all three of them the very second you can.
3. Read 10 Adult Books – Currently reading my third of the year – ON DUBLIN STREET by Samantha Young.
4. Read 115 Other Books – I can no longer keep track of this by genre, so, whatever. I’m at 72 books for the year so far, so, probably doing okay on this front.
5. Finish my Follow-Up to BEHIND THE SCENES – Check! Under the Lights is currently with my editor, and I am doing that whole “waiting with bated breath” thing. (Yes, this says exactly what it said in April. Still stands.)
6. Finish drafting LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT – Check! It’s now gone through two major revisions after getting notes from four wonderful readers, and is currently with a lovely beta who’s never read for me before. Cue ALL THE NERVES.
7. Finish drafting my chick lit ms – Nope, but I did look at it for the first time in a long time this month, because my fabulous accountabilibuddy is on the case, so, this just may be getting some love from me soon.
8. Write at least three posts pimping QUILTBAG (QUeer/QUestioning Intersex Lesbian Transgender Bisexual Asexual Gay) titles – I’ve hit this goal, but nothing new since. Will probably write one more in September, because I can’t do a roundup of this year’s amazing releases without including LIES WE TELL OURSELVES.
10. Interview another one of my all-time favorite YA writers – Have you checked out my Author Spotlight series yet? Keep watching 😉