YA Highway is one of those fantastic blogs I often forget to check out, and then when I do, I think “Man, this is a great blog,” and then promptly forget to check it out again. Today, however, I finally paid attention and took note of Road Trip Wednesday and its question inspired by ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS author Stephanie Perkins’ post on Natalie Whipple’s blog: What’s on your WiP love list?
To quote Ms. Perkins: “Whenever I begin a new project, I also begin a list called “What I Love About This Story.” I start by writing down those first ideas that sparked the fires of my mind, and then I add more ideas to it as I discover them during my push through early drafts.” That list is a “WiP love list,” and as I push myself to plow through my beloved biblical redux, THE BOOK OF ESTHER, I could use a little inspiration in the form of one, so here we go!
My TBoE love list:
- My badass heroine
- “Hey, Man,” Mimi Kane, Jacob, Sharon, Big Man and Thrash
- Interpreting the royal garments
- Banishing “Vashti”
- Attempting the back-and-forth flashback
- The diary and the horse, modern-style
- Sex and revenge
- Tearing up at writing my first bullying scene
- Zara’s POV
- a nose ring
- Cat in a tree
- Game on
- King and Queen
- Truth or Dare and Champagne and vodka
- the one exception to fidelity
- the humanity of villains
- the inhumanity of villains
*flexes writing muscles* Phew! OK! Time to add some more to that list!