Time for another round of Top Ten Tuesday with The Broke and the Bookish! You can already see the self-explanatory topic, so just to explain the order in which I listed, it’s by number of books I bought and read by said author after “discovering” her in 2013. Basically, if I read her for the first time in 2013 and then promptly bought multiple books – or plan to – she’s almost definitely on this list.
1. Veronica Roth – I’m a primarily contemp reader, but for a couple of reasons, the DIVERGENT/INSURGENT/ALLEGIANT series is one I decided to try out, and ultimately ended up consuming in the space of a couple of months. I’ll spare everyone my thoughts on the ending, but I will say that as a person, Veronica Roth also seriously inspired me with her classiness during the insanity of all the ALLEGIANT backlash, so, voila! Number 1.
2. Mila Ferrera – I’ve read a ton of NA this year, but it’s rare that I care about what an author’s got coming up next. Judging by how many times I checked Amazon awaiting the release of EVERYTHING BETWEEN US after reading SPIRAL and ONLY BETWEEN US, I’d say she’s definitely earned a spot on my instabuy list. (And yes, I ended up enjoying EBU too!)
3. Cora Carmack – While I found LOSING IT to be really rusty on a lot of fronts, I ultimately enjoyed it enough to pick up FAKING IT. The latter convinced me that with an actual editor behind her, she was an author whose books I’d have to add to my NA collection. Then I loved FINDING IT too. Plus, I love the idea for her next series, and I’m looking forward to it!
4. Lyla Payne – Hmm, NA theme, I guess? Well, Ferrera, Carmack, and Payne are the only NA authors from whom I’ve bought 3 books this year, and given that #3 was my favorite, proving she’s only getting better, I’ll definitely be buying #4.
5. Trish Doller – I read SOMETHING LIKE NORMAL in February without putting it down, and climbed the walls waiting for WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE, which I liked. Doller won’t be putting out another book until 2015′s ARCADIA FALLS, but I will most assuredly be buying it.
6. Rainbow Rowell - I liked ELEANOR & PARK, and then liked FANGIRL even more. Plus, I got to meet her in person this year, and she was super lovely.
7. Christina Lauren – I read BEAUTIFUL BASTARD immediately after ALLEGIANT, and it was the perfect cure to what could’ve been a brutal book hangover. I’m working my way though buying the rest of the series now (I bought BEAUTIFUL PLAYER on release day and am holding off on reading it until I get the rest!), and I’m looking forward to everything coming up from this pair!
8. Leah Raeder – You know when you read a book by an author and you just know you’re going to buy everything they ever write? That.
9. Kasie West – Ditto. This year, I read THE DISTANCE BETWEEN US, and in 2014, I fully plan to buy…everything else.
10. Corey Ann Haydu – Yup. LIFE BY COMMITTEE, come to Mama.